Wednesday, July 25, 2012

{Fishy Facts}

Marlin J. is not very camera-happy, so I am re-using a picture from the first post :)

Since getting Marlin J. (check out my post from earlier this week), I have been kind of addicted to searching (and fascinated by) random facts and quirky information about goldfish. Weird, I know but let's just say Google has been my best friend lately. 
      Anywho, I thought I would share some of my favorites with you lovelies! Here's my top five :)

1. Fish sleep. 
    Yep, it's true. I was curious the first night I had Marlin, if when I shut the lights off if he would continue to swim around blindly in the dark or if he took a snooze like the rest of us. So I Googled it.
    And it turns out they actually do. Not quite like us humans do, due to their lack of eyelids, they mostly just float above the bottom of the tank with their eyes still appearing open.

2. Their size depends on the size of their space. 
     When I bought my goldfish and my tank, the employee at the pet store said the larger the tank, the larger the fish will get. Any type of goldfish will grow until it is a compatible fit with its surroundings. My dad added that if you put him in a lake or pond, "that sucker will be huge!" :)

3. Some goldfish's brain can develop to that of a 5-year old child.
     This one, I still find hard to believe, but studies have shown that my kind of goldfish can develop the as much logic as a kindergartner! Cray-cray, huh?

4. Goldfish can live to the age of 9. 
      NINE?!
      When I first read this, I was shocked and pretty stocked. When you think of any type of fish in a tank you automatically think of quick deaths right after you purchase them. However, if you take care of them properly and are fed regularly, it can live to be 9 YEARS OLD.

5. The "3 Second Memory" is a myth. 
      Another popular fact associated with my little Marlin J, is again, busted! Fish actually can keep many memories and have repeating patterns in their everyday life. For example, when you open the feed flap, he automatically swims to the top, awaiting the food he knows is coming. :)

see ya soon,
mckenna k & marlin j. xx

No comments:

Post a Comment